DVD Review: Downsizing

Get small.

When scientists figure out a way to shrink humans to about 5 inches tall in order to save the planet, Paul (Matt Damon) and his wife Audrey (Kristen Wiig) think it will be for them. They're struggling with money but what they do have saved will translate into millions once they shrink. When Audrey bails on Paul after his procedure, he finds he can't live like the king he wanted, and is forced to get another meaningless job there. It's only through his easy going Serbian neighbor Dusan (Christoph Waltz) that he meets Ngoc (Hong Chau) and finally starts to see the bright side of things again.

I wasn't so sure about this film when it was in theaters. Matt Damon is kind of on my shit list at the moment, and the trailer showed so much of Kristen Wiig whom I can't stand. Thankfully, she completely disappears after the first 15 minutes and Damon, personal life aside is actually very good in this role. 

They don't spend a lot of time with the science of things, but they give it enough detail that you know this didn't come to be something "because fuck you that's why." It's Chau and Waltz that bring this film to life, especially Chau. Her character isn't someone who chose to be shrunk, it was done to her against her will so that offers a different perspective and she was excellent in this role. 

The film does tend to drag a little towards the end, but it's balanced very well with humor and its more emotional moments. The film was much better than the trailers let on.

Recommended: Yes

Grade: B-

Memorable quote: "It was a love fuck!" - Paul (Matt Damon)

Comments

  1. I've heard flawed things about the film but I still want to see it because it's Alexander Payne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a good filmmaker. The Descendants is still my favorite of his though.

      Delete
  2. Was this one universally hated?? I thought it had a bad rep, but I'd give it a shit based on this review.

    I'm with you on Wiig. Not a huge fan, myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't say it was universally hated but it didn't do well at the box office. I think it was advertised poorly.

      Delete
    2. I think 'shit' was supposed to be 'spin' in my original comment...but I'm not even sure, honestly.

      Maybe I'll catch this soon.

      Delete
  3. I liked this one quite a lot. I mean, I felt there were so many directions to take this in, and I loved AND was frustrated by what we saw. It challenged me and made me think and I enjoyed that about it, and I was sad for it that I was so poorly reviewed that people didn't give it much of a chance. It's not among the year's best, but it's better than oodles and oodles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, this is far better than a lot of things I watched last year. I don't think the trailers for this film helped. I know they didn't sell me, I think they should've focused less on Wiig and Sudekis who are barely in it and more on the other actors.

      Delete
  4. Damon is on my shit list too which is why I avoided this, but it sounds good. I'll give it a watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot better than I wanted to give it credit for lol.

      Delete
  5. I gotta disagree on it being better than the trailers. I actually dug what I saw there, but found the movie itself to be a huge bore. Agreed that Chau was great, however!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww I'm sorry it didn't work for you in that way, but I'm glad you liked Chau too!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum